You’ve Got Mail (1998) Amazon
Director: Nora Ephron
There is a newer Deluxe Edition available but this review is on the standard edition DVD. (oddly enough the deluxe edition is much cheaper than the standard edition).
- Musical score on alternate audio track
- Behind-the-scenes documentary: “HBO First Look: A Conversation with Nora Ephron”
- Interactive map tour “Discover New York’s Upper West Side”
- Running commentary with Nora Ephron & Lauren Shuler Donner
- DVD ROM Extras: Original Call Sheets, compare scenes with the original Shop Around the Corner and In the Good Old Summertime, read all the mail sent between the characters, screensaver, poster, web links, etc…
The running commentary with Nora Ephron & Lauren Shuler-Donner is one of those “Let’s chat about the movie” extra features rather than a critical analysis of the art of movie making. AND THAT’S OK! I really enjoyed the relaxing chatting and remembrances of the movie by these two. As you may know we lost Nora this past year (1941—2012) so it was nice to hear her voice and to feel the enjoyment she had making films. The commentary focuses a lot on the locations as it was shot in NY and the Upper West Side is as much a character in the film as any. They talk about the incredible acting by Tom Hanks and the chemistry he has with his co-star Meg Ryan.
The “HBO First Look: A Conversation with Nora Ephron” really focuses on her and her life in movies. Not so much on the movie itself. Nice piece however.
There is an interactive map of the Upper West Side neighborhood and clicking on each of the location dots on the map opens up a mini editorial video piece by Nora and Lauren.
As for the DVD-ROM features. Well, no very interesting and not very effective. It is, after all 1998), and it works only on a PC. A number of short clips from interviews of the actors, the Call Sheets are interesting only if you know what one is and how to read it! Screen saver doesn’t work – does anyone use screen savers anymore?
So, I’d say you still have to check out the extras on this DVD.
I give it ★★★☆☆